February Meeting and More
Predictions of a Tuesday-night apocalypse by ice and snow were predictably overblown — the “disaster” was just a few inches of dry, easily navigable powder.
Ten fearless songwriters, including one new member, showed up Tuesday for an intimate meeting of Pittsburgh Songwriters Circle, sharing unusually deep analysis of individual songs and lots of talk about the songwriting process. Overcoming common writing conundrums, structuring songs intended to be sung by someone other than the writer and crafting instrumental pieces were among the topics of discussion.
The meeting climaxed with a rousing featured set by the group’s longtime friend Cathy Stewart (firstname.lastname@example.org) — a former regular of the open stage and Songwriters Circle who is now playing with members of legendary Pittsburgh band The Granati Brothers and works with their youth education program, For Those About To Rock Academy (www.facebook.com/pages/For-Those-About-To-Rock-Academy/321652701579).
The next meeting is 7 p.m. Tue., March 4 at Bloomfield Bridge Tavern (412-682-8611, www.bloomfieldbridgetavern.com). At the suggestion of David Michael King (email@example.com), the optional songwriting assignment is to write what you feel is a strong chorus, but use it as a verse and craft another chorus to replace it. The featured performer following the March 4 meeting is Jess Saenz (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Songwriters Circle member’s events
• Doug Wilkin‘s (email@example.com) band The NewLanders plays Club Cafe 7 p.m. Feb. 7.
• Dennis McCurdy’s (firstname.lastname@example.org) 2014 Harmony in the House series begins 7 p.m. Feb. 8 with the Womack Family Band and Jeff Wiley at the Bottlebrush Gallery for the Arts, Harmony, Pa. (724-452-0539).
• Ken Nowacki (email@example.com) plays the featured set preceding Calliope Songwriters Open Stage 9 p.m. Feb. 25.
• Howard Davidson‘s (firstname.lastname@example.org) Penn Hills Coffeehouse Series at The Barn, Penn Hebron Garden Club, will return in April and May.
• John Hayes hosts Calliope Songwriters Open Stage 9 p.m. every Tuesday at Bloomfield Bridge Tavern.
See you soon,