January Meeting Reccap
Following the group’s most active year, Pittsburgh Songwriters Circle’s first meeting of 2015 included the return of old friends and participation of new members. Several work-shopped songs they had begun crafting in 2014, and unfinished works were discussed at length.
Howard Davidson (email@example.com) proposed February’s optional songwriting assignment — a political protest song — and with sideman Greg Davis performed a solid featured set that segued into a well-attended Calliope Songwriters Open Stage.
The Songwriter’s Circle’s next meeting is 7 p.m., Tue., Feb. 3 at Bloomfield Bridge Tavern. The group’s webmaster Dennis Malley (firstname.lastname@example.org) will be featured.
Group treasurer Tom Beckman (email@example.com) suggested that as the new year begins members might want to be advised of the diversity of activities, opportunities and services that were provided for the group in 2014 and are likely to be repeated in 2015. If you’re interested in getting involved, contact group manager John Hayes (412-263-1991, firstname.lastname@example.org).
• Monthly meetings, song critiques and discussion — 7 p.m. first Tuesdays, Bloomfield Bridge Tavern.
• Invited featured sets following Circle meetings.
• Calliope Songwriters Open Stage, 9 p.m. every Tuesday, Bloomfield Bridge Tavern.
• Invited featured sets at the start of Calliope Songwriters Open Stage.
• Pittsburgh Songwriters Circle website (www.
pittsburghsongwriterscircle. org, webmaster Dennis Malley email@example.com) provides monthly group news updates, gig opportunities, free posting of members’ events, free Artist Pages for members who’ve placed songs on the annual album project, etc. Sue Gartland (firstname.lastname@example.org) sends out the Facebook alerts.
• Annual compilation album, this year with the group’s new producer Mike Hickman (email@example.com) at Electric Eye Recorders (www.electric-eye-recorders.
com), Polish Hill.
• In May, during the Pittsburgh Marathon, members perform original songs for runners at the Pittsburgh Songwriters Circle booth.
• Greensburg SummerSounds music festival — invited Circle members play paid pre-show gigs at every show June through August).
• Goddard State Park, Music at the Marina Festival — invited Circle members play a paid set at the two-day August festival in Mercer County.
• CD release event at Pittsburgh Center for the Arts, Shadyside.
• Pittsburgh Songwriters Circle Christmas Show — members play original holiday songs at Bloomfield Bridge Tavern, proceeds benefit Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank.
• Members play traditional and original holiday songs at regional homeless shelters.